Barker Earns First Win in 6-2 Victory Over Pilots
By Joshua Salim
July 3, 2019
ANCHORAGE, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (7-17) ended a six-game losing streak after defeating the Anchorage Glacier Pilots (14-11) in a 6-2 contest Wednesday night.
Michael Barker (1-2) earned his first win of the season after throwing seven innings with eight hits, two runs, two walks and two strikeouts.
Joey Leavitt (0-0) pitched the eighth inning and allowed one walk on the mound. Honus Kindreich (1-2) closed the ninth inning with two hits and no runs given up.
The Chinooks offense scored all six of their runs in the first two innings of the game. Pate Fullerton and Jess Davis leadoff the first inning with walks before J Paul Fullerton singled in his brother for the first run of the game. Daniel Freeman then singled Jess Davis home on a line drive to left field before Haden Keller grounded out to first base for an RBI to plate Fullerton for the final run of the inning.
In the second inning, Pate Fullerton walked and stole second base before Jess Davis walked a second time in the game. Next, J Paul Fullerton hit an RBI single to right field to bring in his brother for the fourth run of the game. Daniel Freeman loaded the bases on a hit-by-pitch and Haden Keller brought in the final two runs on a single to right center.
- J Paul Fullerton led the Chinooks offensively with two hits, two runs, a walk, two RBI’s and his first stolen base of the season.
- J Paul Fullerton has jumped his batting average from .204 to the team-leading .281 in the last four games. He has eight hits and six RBI’s since returning from injury.
- Pate Fullerton finished the day 1 for 2 with three walks, two runs, and a stolen base.
- Jess Davis walked three times in the game, scored two runs, and picked up his team-leading 10th stolen base.
- Michael Barker picked up his first win of the season.
The Chinooks are back in action on July 5 against the Anchorage Glacier Pilots on Friday.