Chinooks Prevail Over Pilots for First Home Win
By Joshua Salim
June 20, 2019
CHUGIAK, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (5-9) defeated the Anchorage Glacier Pilots (6-5) for their first home win 3-2 at Lee Jordan Field.
Sam Brace (1-0) made his fourth start of the season and picked up his first win. Apart from giving up two runs in the first inning, Brace would pitch scoreless baseball, allowing seven hits, three walks, and three strikeouts, for the rest of his seven and a third innings on the mound.
Corbin Barker (0-1) earned the save for the Chinooks after relieving Brace for the final inning and two-thirds on the mound. He received one strikeout and only gave up a single hit to the Pilots.
The Chinooks relied on “small-ball” in their comeback-win. In the first inning, Paddy McKermitt would leadoff with a walk, before Jess Davis moved him over to second base on a single. With two outs, Jake Collins delivered a single to leftfield to plate McKermitt for the Chinooks first run of the game.
Two innings later, the Chinooks would tie the game at 2-2. Daniel Freeman walked and moved to third on a wild pitch and single from Jake Collins. Pate Fullerton would bring in the tying run on a sacrifice fly to right field, scoring Freeman.
The fourth inning brought the winning run in for the Chinooks after Paddy McKermitt drew a walk, stole second base, moved to third on a wild-pitch, and scored on a sacrifice fly from J Paul Fullerton.
- Paddy McKermitt went 1 for 1 at the plate with a double, two walks, two runs, and a stolen base.
- Jake Collins went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Both Fullerton brothers had RBI sacrifice-fly balls.
- Brandon Cody had two walks, and hit-by-pitch.
- Jess Davis has reached base in every game he has played in this season.
- Sam Brace picked up his first win of the season.
- Corbin Barker picked up his first save of the season.
- The Chinooks picked up their first home win of the season.
The Chinooks will continue the eight-game homestand with game two on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. against the Peninsula Oilers (5-10).