Chinooks Unable to Hold on to Strong Start
By: Joshua Salim
CHUGIAK, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (1-3) dropped their third straight game in an 11-4 loss to the Peninsula Oilers (2-3) Monday night.
Sam Brace (0-0) took the hill for the Chinooks and pitched five innings of scoreless baseball. He recorded three strikeouts, while giving up three walks and three hits.
In the bottom of the fifth inning, the Chinooks took a 3-0 lead against Jonathan Carlos and the Oilers. Jake Collins led off with a groundball to the third-baseman that turned into a two base error. From there, Mason Corbett tripled off the left-field fence before Trevor Cho drew a walk and Patty McKermitt placed a sacrifice bunt down to bring in a second run. Cho moved up to third on a passed ball and then Brandon Cody walked. The final run of the inning was brought in on the RBI infield single from Haden Keller.
Unfortunately for the Chinooks, the Oilers came to life offensively and landed 15 hits and 11 runs off the Chinooks bullpen in the final four innings of the game. Justin Fox (1-1) was charged with the loss after pitching two-thirds of an inning and giving up five hits and five runs. Tyler Wynkoop (0-0) finished the inning and pitched the seventh as well, giving up one run on five hits. Corbin Barker (0-0) closed out the game for the Chinooks, giving up five runs on five hits, and recording four strikeouts and two walks in his two innings on the hill.
A combined total of six errors occurred in the game, four for the Chinooks and two for the Oilers.
The Chinooks plated a fourth and final run in the seventh inning as Jess Davis drew a leadoff walk, stole third base, and scored on Haden Keller’s RBI single.
- Mason Corbett went 2-3 at the plate with a walk, a run scored, and an RBI.
- Haden Keller went 2-5 at the plate and picked up his team leading sixth and seventh hits as well as fourth and fifth RBI’s.
- Keller is averaging 2 hits and an RBI in the last two games with the team’s highest batting average at .389.
- The only offensive category that the Chinooks led the Oilers in was walks with 8. 7 of 9 starters drew a walk in the game.
- Sam Brace has the lowest ERA on the team at 1.29 and most innings pitched with 7 innings.
The Chinooks will play their final home game of the week tomorrow against the Matsu Miners at Lee Jordan Field for a 7:00 contest.