Freeman Leads Chinooks to 6-5 Victory
By Joshua Salim
June 24, 2019
CHUGIAK, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (6-11) secured a 6-5 win over the Peninsula Oilers (7-11) Monday night at Lee Jordan Field.
Trevor McGhee (0-0) made his third start for the Chinooks and picked up a no-decision. McGhee threw five innings on the mound, giving up three runs on seven hits, two strikeouts, and two walks.
Joey Leavitt (0-0) relieved for one and two-thirds innings, allowing four hits and a run. Tyler Wynkoop (1-1) earned his first win of the season after pitching a third of an inning and picking up a single out.
Honus Kindreich (1-2) came in to pitch in the eighth inning and gave up one run on two hits and strikeout. Daniel Freeman (0-1) recorded his first save of the season after getting three fly balls to end the game and grant the Chinooks a 6-5 win.
Offensively, the Chinooks sprang to life in the second inning to rally back to a 3-2 deficit. Ethan English leadoff the inning with a double, Jack Damelio and Dylan Gardner walked to load the bases, and Mason Corbett wore a pitch off the elbow to bring in the first run. Daniel Freeman would reach on a walk for the second run to come in.
The Chinooks would take their first lead of the day in the fourth inning for a 4-3 advantage. Haden Keller drew a walk with an out in the inning before he was brought home on an RBI triple from Daniel Freeman. Freeman would then score on a sacrifice fly ball to center field from J Paul Fullerton.
With the score at 4-4, the Chinooks would get a single run in both the seventh and eighth innings for a 6-4 lead. With two outs in the seventh inning, Dylan Garner reached on an error, stole second, advanced to third on a wild pitch and reached home on a throwing error from the Oilers catcher. For the eighth inning, Daniel Freeman reached base on a dropped-third strikeout. He then attempted to steal second while J Paul Fullerton hit a ball into the left-center gap and scored Freeman for the final run of the ball game.
- The Chinooks finished with 10 hits, seven walks, and six runs.
- 7 of 10 hitters had a hit in the game.
- Daniel Freeman went 1 for 4 at the plate with a triple, a walk, two RBI’s, and two runs scored.
- Jack Damelio went 2 for 3 at the plate with a walk, two singles, and a run scored.
- J Paul Fullerton went 2 for 4 at the plate with two RBI’s and two singles.
- Mason Corbett has reached base in every game he has played in this season.
- Daniel Freeman picked up his first save of the season.
- Tyler Wynkoop earned his first win of the season.
The Chinooks will host the Anchorage Glacier Pilots at Lee Jordan Field Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m.