Last Inning Burst Not Enough in 6-5 Loss
By Joshua Salim
June 22, 2019
CHUGIAK, AK – The Chugiak-Eagle River Chinooks (5-10) fell just short to the Peninsula Oilers (6-10) in a 6-5 contest Saturday night.
Michael Barker (0-1) made his second start for the Chinooks and was charged with his first loss of the season. Barker threw five and one-third innings on the mound, allowing five runs on seven hits and four walks.
Justin Fox (1-1) would relieve Barker in the inning and give up an unearned run, walk and hit in his outing. Tyler Wynkoop (0-1) and Ethan English (0-0) would close out the final three innings of scoreless baseball. Wynkoop gave up a hit and recorded a strikeout, while English pitched the ninth inning with only a walk given up in his first appearance.
The Chinooks offense would strike early to tie the game at two apiece in the first inning. Dylan Gardner and Ethan English would both walk in the inning before a two-out double off the right field wall would bring them in from J Paul Fullerton.
In the bottom of the second, the Chinooks pushed ahead for the first time with a 3-2 lead after Brandon Cody, Joe Brazil, and Pate Fullerton all three walked. Dylan Gardner plated Cody on a groundball double play that unfortunately ended the scoring for Chugiak.
In the fifth inning, the Chinooks would retake the lead a third time after Dylan Gardner walked and worked his way around to advance home on a wild pitch for a 4-3 lead entering the sixth inning.
The Chinooks would have to play from behind the final three innings and sparked a potential comeback in the ninth inning. Jess Davis and Haden Keller would pick up singles in the inning before a Davis was brought in on a groundout from J Paul Fullerton. With the tying run and third and winning run at second, Daniel Freeman grounded out to third base to end the comeback attempt at secure a 6-5 loss to the Oilers.
- The Chinooks would draw 12 walks and add four hits in the game.
- Dylan Gardner walked twice and scored two runs.
- J Paul Fullerton had three RBI’s in the game and a double.
- Brandon Cody reached base in every plate appearance with a single, two walks, and a hit-by-pitch.
- Cody has at least one hit in sixth of the last seven games, with two in four of them.
- Haden Keller is on a four-game hitting streak.
- Ethan English made his first appearance on the mound and offensively he walked three times and scored a run.
- 6 of 9 starters walked and 4 of 6 had at least two.
- Mason Corbett and Jess Davis have reached in every game they have appeared in this season.
The Chinooks will host the Oilers at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday afternoon for their next game.